Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Art of Letting Go

Exploring the Art of Letting Go:

Letting go has been a strong theme in my life lately and here again it follows us into the studio.

At this point the collective role is too constantly task ourselves to create an impulse and then be ready to abandon it at any moment. This seems easy enough, such a task that is very parallel to my personal philosophy: ‘that movement is merely about being ready to shift’.

In the light of cooperation and negotiation the theory is easier than the actual. It is a practice of never assuming that someone might know and to always be ready to let go.

We have danced around this theory and practiced our techniques of shifting everyday for four weeks. Simple, perfection must be close. But we find everyday is different, every moment is different than the last and every shift is new. Accepting mastery or defeat is not the object, but living within the exploration of negotiation and acceptance is where the beauty lies. Some days moving Cory amongst the four is a breeze, and some days it feels like a foreign language. Abandoning any expectation and digging deeper into the curiosity is the only way to keep going.

Today, practicing my solo, I had to abandon my expectation of place. Do I have the patience to track every shift in my body and down to the smallest degree, when I realize my whole sense of self is based on knowing my relationship to other. Can I cheat and use the floor tape as a marker, but really with the stage lights flooding the floor and a bag on my head I will be totally blind. Negotiating in my own vacuum. The only thing to right me is my connection to gravity. At least I can’t loose my sense of up and down. I’ve abandoned any use of tricks, I’ve let go of front, and my performance ring is a new exploration every day. I just wish my friends would stop me before I run into the walls….

No comments:

Post a Comment